Tuesday, 15 March 2011

Greenfinch in Backyard, 15-3-2011

A flock of 50+ greenfinches invading the backyard of our flat. They are perching on top of the tree, singing and flying from one tree to another. Due to low light and high contrast, I am not able to get any good pictures. Besides, thier small body size and standing high on the tree doesn't allow my Canon 100-400mm to have nice close up shot. Just some record shots showed here. Anyway, it's a good sign that the spring is here...

As Pete mentioned (in comment), greenfinches in UK have been suffer from infectious disease, trichomonosis, which lead to the decline in population, not sure what's the situation in Sweden...

Location: Norra Stationsgatan, Stockholm
Date: 15-3-2011
Time: 5.30pm-6.00pm
Weather: Clear
Equipment: Canon 7D + Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Bird list: European Greenfinch (Carduelis chloris) 50+, Common Blackbird (Turdus merula) 2

Flock of 50+ greenfinch perching on the tree

Cropped image of a greenfinch

10 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about the up to date status in the UK, but Greenfinch have been/are suffering at the hands of a disease they pick up, I won't bore you with the details. Your record of 50 sounds good to me but....what is the situation with the Greenfinch in Sweden I wonder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't heard anything similar in Sweden, perhaps I should check it out with other birder/ornithologist here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just been looking through Previous posts Kah-Wai, I like the Dipper photo's nice one !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for visiting my blog :)

    That was a good number of Greenfinches to visit your garden! I have seen the disease Pete mentioned in my garden a couple of years ago and it is horrific but at the moment I have good numbers of healthy birds visiting.

    The photos of the Dipper on the earlier post are beautiful! We have them here but not in my area so I have never seen one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Do not think I ever saw a Greenfinch in my backyard. Maybe all of them are in your backyard.
    Nice shots and have a nice day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. ...a beautiful, large flock! Sorry to here this is an illness is running through their population. We had a similar outbreak with American Goldfinches a few years ago. We were lucky that none of the sick birds showed up at our feeders, but I remember seeing a lot of photos on blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely birds to see. A favourite garden bird of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You don't get to see them in Malaysia. Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is amazing, the Greenfinches must have been in love with you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice flock~Great that you were able to see all those..Congrats!

    ReplyDelete