Tuesday, 22 March 2011

Skeppsbron, 20-3-2011

On the way back from national park, I stopped by Skeppsbron for some picture of gull. It was a bit disappointed that the railed area where the gulls were perching in winter time is now opened for people, as a result, I didn't spot a single herring gull there. Only a few black-headed gull perching on the railing at the other site, and some wildfowl in the river. The spring moulting of black-headed gulls seem to be completed, the head plumage is now in black color. On the way to bus station, I passed by Stockholm Strom and I also notice that the number of wildfowl here are significantly decrease, in comparison to winter time. Perhaps the ice was melted in other part of river and the birds were spread to other area.

I spotted 1 mute swan in Skeppsbron and 2 mute swans in Stockholm Strom were ringed. The observations were submitted to Bird Ringing Centre at Swedish Museum of Natural History. It is interesting to find out the life history of these birds.

Location: Skeppsbron, Stockholm
Date: 20-3-2011
Time: 12.00pm-12.30pm
Weather: Clear
Equipment: Canon 7D + Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L
Bird list: Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus), Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula), Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos), Goosander (Mergus merganser), Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

View all pictures at my Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/linkahwai/sets/72157626183138579/

Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)

Mallard (Anas platyrhynchos)

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)

22 comments:

  1. Hi Kah Wai,

    I like your blog too - great pictures. Thanks for stopping by.

    All the best
    Nick (indie birder)

    http://indie-birder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great detail in this series. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures. I really wish someday I can picture a mute swan. We have trumpeter and tundras here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photos, love the swan in flight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. From my point, this set of images are perfect. Well done!
    Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gorgeous photo of the Mute Swan, particularly the last one. Also liked the Black-headed Gull. They are rare on the US east coast whereas Herring Gulls are a dime a dozen. The female mallard shows her beautiful blue speculum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, nice series of birds, beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice photos. The last one of the swan is especially beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Excellent photography Kah Wai....keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful pictures, feel free to check out my new blog,
    Thanks,
    Dave

    http://iow-birder.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  11. YOUR photography is Awesome--so sharp, great color, great detail...and the birds you are sharing are some great looking ones!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. A lovely series of images. I love the water around the Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely series. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely clean, crisp images! The Mallard photograph is ever so stunning. Gorgeous capture of the Mute Swan. A joy to view your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Outstanding series! I love how I can just barley see the reflection of the swan in the water on your in-flight shot. Your lady mallard is perfect. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful set of pictures.I love that Mallard.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wonderful series of photos!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Nice Black-head in summer plum.

    ReplyDelete
  19. You have a beautiful blog,great phtos!phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  20. Excellent photography. I saw many Bonaparte's gulls during a summer internship on the Ohio islands last year. They look very much like the black-headed gulls. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Nice Swan shots, look forward to your spring posts. Ospreys showing well at Norra Järvafältet and Tyresö Slott at the moment...

    ReplyDelete